Cooking at home has many benefits, starting from the fact that we spend less money to the greatest benefit of all; we eat healthier. When we eat out or buy prepared food, most of the time we don’t know how our food is prepared, and rarely we can list with certainty all the ingredients contained. A very common question among my patients is, what is the best breakfast cereal? In fact, today is pretty common to hear that people buy granola instead of cereal brands, since they all affirm they have too much sugar. And while this is true, it is not only sugar that’s added, but all the other components that you can read on the package but at the end very few understand what they are and what purpose does’t it serves.
And here comes one of my personal rules while shopping: If you can’t pronounce the ingredients in the ingredients list, you better keep away from it, they are chemicals made within a laboratory, what use would it make your own body?
So that’s how we come to the same conclusion, nothing like natural and homemade right? Today we want to share an amazing homemade granola recipe and although it contains some sugar, grams per serving are very low, but the best, it contains no chemicals, additives or preservatives, or anything you with your eyes you can not see, plus what really makes it sweet is the agave syrup. It will be the first granola you will enjoy even more happy.
Home Made Granola (approx 4 servings)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup Walnuts (if you don’t have, use almonds)
- 2.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave syrup (or regular honey if you do not want vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana (mash, 1/2 cup)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and nuts in a bowl. Turn on the oven to 190C or 350 F.
2. In a saucepan heat the coconut oil, once melted add the agave nectar and vanilla extract. Mash the banana in a bowl.
3. Remove from heat and add the banana. Mix. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir.
4. In a baking tray place the mixture evenly. Grease the tray previously.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
6. Remove and separate the mixture into desire crumbles (large or small pieces). You can store it in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
Copyright © Live Life Nutrition for The Soul, 2013. All rights reserved. No part of the development, content, or feedback can be reproduced without the written approval of Live Life Nutrition for the Soul.