Christmas! The most wonderful time of the year! It’s just not possible for me to go through christmas without remembering my childhood. Family time, cousins, food, chocolate, christmas trees, and lights….tons of lights I am more than thankful with life for giving me the opportunity of having such wonderful christmas.
This is my second Christmas as a vegan, and somehow christmas has changed for me. I have become more conscious in every step I make, since I have discovered how Christmas is just the worst time for animals (even thought they don’t know it’s christmas). I have happened to learn that christmas time is when more animals are abandoned because families travel and have no one to leave their pets with, so they throw them outside, believe it or not! Others are confined to small places, no food, and long waiting times for owners to come back home. The use of fireworks is what raises the number of lost animals. For them, fireworks are like firing a gun inside our ear canal, which of-course makes them panic and thus they run in any direction, most of them getting lost. And of course, the most common, the slaughter of millions of animals including, turkey, geese, and pigs, just because it’s the time of the year when people eat more than usual, and buy gifts for others, that in many occasions have animals hidden in them, a very simple example: jackets, many are made with goose or duck feathers, but almost no one takes a look on that.
I have started to question myself if it’s really necessary to be part of the rushing world crowded in malls and supermarkets in the quest for gifts and food. Somehow my soul has managed to find more interesting and valuable things to share with my family, than rushing into malls, and getting things for everyone that at the end might not even serve a purpose. Cooking, and eating (cruelty free of-course) with family and friends is just the right formula to fill up the soul, the time you spend together is what you, your, kids, and family members will remember 1,5,10 years from now, and not exactly that gift you bought them.
This is why this recipe is so especial. Chocolate is something almost everyone likes, so if you give it a try, I bet your family will remember next year “those healthy cruelty free, brownies you cooked us”, and that for sure, will bring a huge smile to your face. (Don’t panic when you read the secret ingredient, just cook them, you will thank the vegan world later)
Christmas Vegan Brownies (Serves 16 aprox)
- 2 cans of black beans (15 ounce each) -DON’T PANIC! I used one Pinto Beans and one Kidney beans because I couldn’t find black beans (you will never ever remember they were made with beans, promise)
- 1/3 cup dates, pitted
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
1. Rinse the canned beans properly. Add them, with the dates, agave syrup, vainilla extract, melted coconut oil, flax seeds and salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until you have a smooth mix.
2.In a bowl add the cocoa, flour, and cinnamon. Blend the wet mix with the dry mix in the bowl. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C)
3. Ad Pam or oil to the pan to avoid sticking. Add the mix and distribute evenly.
4. In a pan, heat the peanut butter with the oil until it is completely liquid. Add the mix over the batter and with a thin stick swirl the mix.
5. Add the walnuts and chocolate chips as an extra topping.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until batter is completely cooked. Let them cool down before cutting them.
7. You can eat them warm or cold. The cold brownies will become firm. Keep refrigerated!
8. Enjoy your time with the family! NO PHONES on the table 😉
Thanks to Kathy for the original recipe
Copyright © Live Life Nutrition for the Soul, 2013. All rights reserved. No part of the development, content, or feedback can be reproduced without the written consent of Live Life Nutrition for the Soul.