Scrambled eggs, that famous Sunday breakfast with which many Colombians delight. Personally I was never fond of eggs, as a little girl I was always forced to eat them, but when I saw this recipe I found it interesting to try a vegan version not only scrambled eggs but of the famous “Calentao”. I confess it’s not my favorite breakfast but we wanted to share it because many might wonder “if I go vegan, what would I have for breakfast ? I love eggs”. The truth is that this should not be a concern, there are many things even better than those involving animals
” Calentao ” Vegan (Serves 2 aprox )
- 250 g of tofu cut into cubes
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned works)
- 3-5 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or vegan butter)
- 3/4 – 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional – be careful not to put too much it can taste very bitter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice (1 cup rice 2 cups water) or if you have in your fridge, use that.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a pan and add the onion.
3. In a bowl or container mix the tofu with the rice and chickpeas (drain well)
4. Once the onion is cooked add the mixture to the pan and cook on low heat. The tofu should be taking more color as you add turmeric.
5. Add remaining spices, salt and pepper to taste. Try adding the nutritional yeast bit by bit and taste it until you like it, it has a very strong flavor.
6. Serve with toast, or on it’s own. Enjoy a different breakfast with lots of vegetable protein!
Copyright © Live Life Nutrition for The Soul, 2013. Todos los derechos reservados. Ninguna parte del desarrollo, contenido, o retroalimentación puede ser reproducida sin la aprobación escrita de Live Life Nutrition for the Soul.