Blueberries…a fruit not easily found in my country, and quite expensive. Lately I’ve been able to get them at the supermarket with less of a struggle, since it used to be a 10% chance of having them available every time I went to buy them.
In 100g of blueberries you get:
- Only 57 calories (84% is water)
- 10% of daily recommendations of Fiber
- 16% of Vitamin C daily recommendation
- 24% of Vitamin K Daily recommendation
- 17% of manganese daily needs
- It also has Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, and Copper.
- They are consider one of the most powerful antioxidants due to Anthocyanin, a pigment responsible for their unique color.
- It’s antioxidant effect helps protect from DNA damage, thus reducing risk of cancer.*1
I made a Blueberry and a Strawberry Banana Smoothie, one for SM and one for me.
Blueberry Smoothie (serves 1)Ingredients
1 Medium Banana Frozen
3/4 cup blueberries
1/3 cup of soy milk (or any non dairy milk, preferably unsweetened or original)
1. Add into blender or mixer and blend.
Copyright © Live Life Nutrition for the Soul, 2013. All rights reserved. No part of the development, content, or feedback can be reproduced without the written consent of Live Life Nutrition for the Soul.
Cristian Del Bo′, Patrizia Riso. et al, “A single portion of blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L) improves protection against DNA damage but not vascular function in healthy male volunteers” December 2012.